How do you feel after a workout? Even when you’re purple faced and desperate for a lie-down, you feel pretty pleased with yourself for giving it a go, right?
Regardless of age or fitness level, studies show that making time for exercise provides some serious mental benefits.
Need more convincing to get moving? Check out these five ways exercise can lead to a happier, healthier you.
1. Reduce stress. Rough day at the office? Take a walk or head to the gym for a quick workout. One of the most common mental benefits of exercise is stress relief. Working up a sweat can help manage physical and mental stress.
2. Boost happy chemicals. Slogging through a few miles on the ‘mill can be tough, but it’s worth the effort! Exercise releases endorphins, which create feelings of happiness and euphoria.
3. Alleviate anxiety. Quick Q&A: Which is better at relieving anxiety—a warm bubble bath or a 20-minute jog? You might be surprised at the answer. The warm and fuzzy chemicals that are released during and after exercise can help people with anxiety disorders calm down. Hopping on the track or treadmill for some moderate-to-high intensity aerobic exercise can reduce anxiety sensitivity. Aerobics is not just for burning calories you know!
4. Exercise promotes better sleep. Struggling to snooze? Regular physical exercise can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Just don’t exercise too close to bedtime, or you may be too energized to hit the hay.
5. Exercise can fun… and social! Exercise and physical activity can be enjoyable. It gives you a chance to unwind or simply engage in activities that make you happy. Physical activity can also help you connect with family or friends in a fun social setting.
So, take a dance class, walk the prom or join a sports team.
Try to engage in a combination of vigorous and moderate aerobic exercises, such as running, walking or swimming. Squeeze in strength training at least twice per week by lifting free weights, using weight machines or doing body weight exercises. Why not book a fitness assessment and let one of our gym instructors create a gym programme to get you started!